2021 Behavioral Health Wrap-Up
Before the coronavirus pandemic, the National Association of Mental Illness (NAMI) estimated that 1 in 5 U.S. adults experience mental illness each year, and 1 in 6 U.S. youth aged 6 to 17 experience a mental disorder each year. However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated even higher rates of mental illness during the height of the pandemic, with nearly 40% of adults struggling with mental health or substance abuse in late June of 2020. Primary care providers are faced with increasing levels of mental health events among patients, often with limited resources to help.
To assist our members in connecting patients with the support they need, VHAN focused on providing behavioral health tools and support in 2021. Here’s a snapshot of how we supported members and patients:
● Well Moment: Well Moment is a dedicated space where patients and families can learn from and talk directly to health experts about pressing health and wellness issues. In 2021, Well Moment hosted webinars related to anxiety and mood disorders in children, adolescent gender identity and more. Find previous Well Moment content here.
● Care Management support: Acting as an extension of your practice, the Care Management team alleviates burdens on staff by freeing up their time for other important tasks. Care Navigators can reach out to your patients with complex needs and help them get care they need in between visits. To take advantage of this service, fill out a provider referral form.
● Pediatric Behavioral Health Consult Line: Calls to the consult line help providers prescribe medications and shorten psychiatric evaluation wait times for pediatric patients who need immediate assistance. In 2022, VHAN plans to add an adult behavioral health consult line.
● Physician Resources for Burnout: VHAN is here to support our exhausted, overextended health care provider members with programs and coping strategies targeted to easing your many pressures and bolstering your mental health. Learn more here.
● New Behavioral Health section on VHAN Hub: Find all of VHAN’s behavioral health resources in one place on the VHAN Hub, including webinars, pediatric behavioral health resources and online behavioral health training.
As we move into a new year, be on the lookout for new behavioral health resources and learning opportunities in your inbox.